Each year, CoNEXT presents a "Rising Star" Award, recognizing a young researcher - generally, an individual who has completed a PhD roughly within the past seven years - who has made outstanding research contributions during this early part of their career. One criteria of particular interest is very strong research contributions made independently from the PhD advisor.
Awardees are selected by an Award Committee, appointed by the CoNEXT Conference Steering Committee, who will be aware of the global nature of the networking field, as well as the different research cultures that can exist in different countries.
This year, through its open call for nominations, the CoNEXT Award Committee received 17 nominations for highly deserving individuals. After a rigorous and competitive selection process, this year's Rising Star Award has been awarded to
Ion Stoica (UC Berkeley, USA).
The award to Ion Stoica is in recognition of outstanding research contributions, early in his career, on advances in Internet architecture, overlay networks and practical distributed systems.
Hall of fame
- Laurent Mathy, Lancaster University, UK (Award Chair)
- Mostafa Ammar, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- Arturo Azcorra, University Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
- Olivier Bonaventure, Université Catholique de Louvain, Belgium
- Serge Fdida, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, France
- Roch Guérin, University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Jim Kurose, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
- Ariel Orda, Technion, Israel
- Jennifer Rexford, Princeton University, USA
- Henning Schulzrinne, Columbia University, USA
- Giorgio Ventre, University of Napoli, Italy